When Jeff Schnurr returned to Canada after travelling the world, he wondered if it was possible to encourage people to grow more forests than they cut down. He’d spent a considerable amount of time on the island of Pemba off the coast of Tanzania, helping its population reforest its land. In 2008 the locals had realized that if they didn’t take action soon, their island would be completely deforested. Soils would become unworkable, freshwater would be scarce, and employment for the islanders would be difficult to come by. His experience helping reforest Pemba made him realize the value of keeping trees in the ground. » Read more: Community Forestry International: Actively Managing Forests Promoting Larger Forests Faster for More Carbon Storage
- What are you looking for?
- Subscribe to our blog!
- Find us on Facebook!
- The latest news in green building, waste management, recycling and more
- Recent Posts
- SSi 0.8 No Clog Toilet
- Drawdown – A Playbook for the Climate Anxious
- Seven Things I Didn’t Know About Electric Cars
- Shift Eco-Boutique sources local, ethical and eco fashion that won’t break the bank
- Community Forestry International: Actively Managing Forests Promoting Larger Forests Faster for More Carbon Storage
How we define green building materials
- For the most part we rely on third party organizations to determine what is and isn't a "green building material." The only time we might not is when products are locally produced or no third party green designation is available for the product.
- Tagsadhesives and sealants American Clay BiY Learning Centre CaesarStone climate change eco-friendly countertops embodied energy Energy Audits energy conservation Energy Consumption Energy Efficiency ewaste Flooring Furniture grants and rebates graywater systems Green Building green building materials green construction methods green design Healthy Home IceStone indoor air quality Insulation kill-a-watt Landscaping LED lighting low VOC products Micro-FIT program milk paint Paints PaperStone passive house radiant heat reclaimed flooring reclaimed wood recycling renewable energy reuse solar panels straw bale homes sustainability Ultra Touch Water Efficiency wind turbines