UltraTouch is an insulation made from 85% post-industrial 100% cotton fibers. If you’re not quite sure what that means, it consists of denim off-cuts from factory floors where they make jeans. And, contrary to fibreglass batts, it is safe to install without any protective clothing.
This product has a lot of advantages over traditional insulation:
- The fibers are treated with a borate solution so that the insulation is mold and mildew resistant, pest resistant, comes with an excellent fire rating,
- There is no shrinkage over time so the R value (thermal resistance per square inch) remains constant over time,
- It comes in batt form so it is safe and easy to install,
- Batts are available in two thicknesses of 3 1/2 inches (R value of 13), and 5 1/2 inches (R value of 19)
- Batts are extra wide to provide a snug fit and increased density (Available in both 16 1/4″ and 24 1/4″ widths)
- Insulation works on density of material, as well as amount of air trapped in air pockets (fiberglass system), so R value stays in tact,
- Excellent noise reducer,
- The manufacturing process itself is one of the least energy intensive ones out there because it starts with a recycled product.
- Cost ranges from $.85-.90/sq. ft, depending on thickness.
Note: there are no longer distributors of this product in Canada.
Subscribe to our blog
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news on green building materials and methods to help you build and renovate better.
You have Successfully Subscribed!
You may unsubscribe at any time.