UltraTouch is an insulation made from 85% post-industrial 100% cotton fibers. If you’re not quite sure what that means, it consists of denim off-cuts from factory floors where they make jeans. And, contrary to fibreglass batts, it is safe to install without any protective clothing.
This product has a lot of advantages over traditional insulation:
- The fibers are treated with a borate solution so that the insulation is mold and mildew resistant, pest resistant, comes with an excellent fire rating,
- There is no shrinkage over time so the R value (thermal resistance per square inch) remains constant over time,
- It comes in batt form so it is safe and easy to install,
- Batts are available in two thicknesses of 3 1/2 inches (R value of 13), and 5 1/2 inches (R value of 19)
- Batts are extra wide to provide a snug fit and increased density (Available in both 16 1/4″ and 24 1/4″ widths)
- Insulation works on density of material, as well as amount of air trapped in air pockets (fiberglass system), so R value stays in tact,
- Excellent noise reducer,
- The manufacturing process itself is one of the least energy intensive ones out there because it starts with a recycled product.
- Cost ranges from $.85-.90/sq. ft, depending on thickness.
Note: there are no longer distributors of this product in Canada.